Public Services (Uniformed)
VTCT Public Services (Uniformed)
This course aims to prepare students practically for making an application to the uniformed public services. There are eight modules on the course that include: Physical Fitness, Team work and problem solving, Employment, Health and Safety as well as Uniformed Services Routine (This list is not exhaustive). The course will aim to improve communication, teamwork, initiative and discipline. These are the soft skills that are often overlooked by more academic courses but are highly valued by all employers!
This course will be assessed practically where ever possible with observations from qualified assessors. Some knowledge aspects will be assessed through course work; where necessary. An example of the assessments would be; solving a problem as a team. Students would need to demonstrate active and positive participation in plan, do and review phases of problem solving as well as safe participation and ongoing positive input into the doing phase, including support for peers. Other practical assessments will be done through interviews and professional discussions.
The course work will be split into tasks that include making leaflets, posters and planning events, making risk assessments and route cards for practical activities.
BTEC Level 3 Public Services
This course focuses on developing the basic skills and understanding needed for working in the Uniformed Public Services. Skills such as teamwork, communication and leadership are all considered through practical activities.
There are two academic units which analyse where public services fit into our society. The course has direct relevance to those wishing to join the armed forces, emergency services or other uniformed public services.
As part of this course you will undertake a number of trips, activities and expeditions. Some of these will be a focus for assessment and attendance will be compulsory. Example of activities include:
- Houses of Parliament visit
- Walks and expeditions on both Dartmoor and Bodmin Moor
- Climbing at 9 Ashes Scout Centre, The Barn Climbing Centre and Roche Rock
This course is assessed by ongoing coursework with no final exam and practical assessment.
In the first year you will study 3 units:
- UNIT 1 - Government, Policies and the Public Services - the effects of Government.
- UNIT 9 - Expedition - learn expedition skills, plan and undertake your own expedition.
- UNIT 10 - Skills for Land-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities - learn how to use a map and compass in the wilder parts of Britain through orienteering and trekking. Be introduced to and learn how to climb and abseil.
In the second year you will study 2 units:
- UNIT 2 - Team Leadership in the Uniformed Public Services - different styles of leadership and practical leadership.
- UNIT 3 - Citizenship, Contemporary Society and the Public Services - the effects of society on public services and vice versa.