Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy
The Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy Department is located at Woods Browning Industrial Estate. We have 2 beauty therapy salons, a nail bar and a large hairdressing salon and reception. The resources reflect what is required in industry and client sessions for the public are available throughout the week. Our focus is on preparing students for a career in Beauty Therapy or Hairdressing. All of the teaching staff have industrial experience and in teaching and assessing qualifications.
Level 2 Certificate in Hair and Beauty Skills
All students study with VTCT – Vocational Training Charitable Trust. All qualifications have a theory and practical element and are graded Pass, Merit and Distinction.
You will work on models, training heads, peers, family and friends and will be graded. At level 2 you will work on clients, friends and family and be graded.
You will be graded on your ability to demonstrate a high level of practical skill, communication ability and attention to detail throughout the service.
For each of the units theory underpins the practical work. You will therefore be required to also pass theory based assignments.
Skills building in basic hair care and skin care.
- Create an Image
- Nail Art
Skills and topics:
- Basic manicure
- Eyebrow Shape
- Blow dry and finishing hair
- Create an image based on a theme
Hair and beauty progression pathways and competitions.
From 2018 the curriculum will be changing. Students will take external written exams. Formative and summative synopotic assessments on clients. Extended learning is regular and practical tasks repeated until competent.
- Facial work
Students work on clients for practice and assessments. There are also written assessments.
- Body and facial electrotherapy
- Body massage
- Aromatherapy massage using pre-blended oils
- Tanning services
Level 2 Diploma in Ladies Hairdressing Technical Qualification
- Health & Safety legislation and acts involved
- Advise & Consult with clients
- Shampoo & Condition the hair and scalp
- Blow-dry Ladies hair
- Finish hair with electrical equipment
- Set & Dress hair into various styles
- Cut Ladies hair into various styles
- Colour & Lighten hair
Level 3 Diploma in Women's Hairdressing
- Monitor & maintain health & safety practice in the salon
- Hairdressing consultation support for colleagues
- Colour hair using modern techniques
- Colour correction
- Style & dress hair using a variety of techniques
- Bridal hair
- Promote & sell products and services to clients