The Department for Education (DfE) has made numerous changes to how GCSEs are organized and examined.
Key points include:
- A new grades system, replacing the A* – G scale with a scale from 9 – 1.
- For most subjects, students will sit the same examination papers, whatever their ability. Some specific subjects, such as Mathematics, will have separate papers for different abilities, so that the examination paper matches the level students are working at.
- There are no more modules to split up a subject. Students will take all of their examinations in the summer, at the end of the courses.
- Almost all subjects will be assessed by terminal examination. There are a few exceptions for certain subject skills which cannot be assessed in an examination.
- Students can only re-sit exams in November of Year 12 for English Language and Mathematics (if you were at least 16 on the preceding 31 August)
More details can about the changed can be found here.