Our curriculum has been shaped, over a number of years by students’ views, aspirations and interests as well as the requirement incumbent upon us to provide courses which give our young people the very best chances of advancement and progression to future opportunities.
Although the information provided here will give students and parents/carers some guidelines it is important to note that it forms part of our overall provision of information and guidance, and that we are, of course, always willing to offer any further support and assistance as appropriate. Should you have any further queries or concerns please do not hesitate to contact the College.
The College runs a 2 year KS3 with the aim of delivering an engaging and challenging curriculum that will provide our students' with the skills and knowledge necessary to be 'GSCE ready'.
Students experience a broad range of subjects at KS3 that are split into core subjects and foundation subjects.
- Physical Education
- Religious Studies and PSHE
Year 8 options choices provide students with their first opportunity to begin the process of personalising their learning to match their interests, aspirations and/or abilities. Whilst this is an exciting time, the information and guidance we provide will encourage students/parents/carers to ensure that consideration is given to which courses will provide the best opportunities for our young people to access further learning and develop a broad range of skills.
The curriculum for the next three years is divided into the ‘core’ subjects and the students’ personal choices (options).
All students will follow a core curriculum of English, Maths, Science, ICT, PE and Philosophy, Ethics & Cultural Studies. Should students want to study Biology, Physics and Chemistry in greater depth, they should opt for ‘Separate Sciences’ as one of their options choices.
At Bodmin College, we are proud to be able to offer students a wide range of different courses and subjects as the four personal choices (options).
- Animal Care
- Art and Design
- Business Studies
- Computer Science
- Construction and the Built Environment
- Creative Design: Fashion and Textiles
- Creative Design: Graphic Design Specialism
- Creative Design: Product Design Specialism
- Hair and Beauty Studies
- Health and Social Care
- Languages: French / Spanish
- Media Studies and Film Studies
- Performing Arts: Dance
- Performing Arts: Drama
- Philosophy, Ethics and Cultural Studies
- Photography and the Digital Arts
- Physical Education
- Public Services (Uniformed)
- Separate Science
- Sports Performance
- Sport (BTEC)
At KS5, Bodmin College Sixth Form provides a high-quality Sixth Form experience with a focus on personalised learning and individual staff support. We have a proven tradition of strong teaching, excellent guidance systems and significant extra-curricular activities.
16 – 19 Study Programmes
Bodmin College follows, as is appropriate to student’s requirements, the Department of Education’s (DfE) guidance (January 2016) on 16 to 19 study programmes on the planning and delivery of 16 to 19 study programmes.
At Bodmin College, 16 to 19 study programmes are designed to provide students with a structured and challenging individualised learning programme that supports their development and progression in line with their future career plans. All study programmes for all students should:
- include one or more academic, applied or vocational qualifications that stretch the student and link clearly to training, employment or higher education, or work preparation and an extended work placement for those students who are not ready for study at level 2, or who are on a traineeship
- require students who do not have GCSE A*-C in maths or English to work towards the achievement of these qualifications
- allow for meaningful work experience (related to the vocational area) and/or other non-qualification activity to develop students’ personal skills and/or prepare them for employment, training or higher/further education.
All study programmes focus on maximising progression to the next stage of education, employment or an apprenticeship.